Friday, May 20, 2005

Healthy Banana Bread Recipe

I had two ripe bananas that needed to be used. I have a copy of that old, orange Betty Crocker cookbook. It has a recipe for banana nut bread, but it was loaded with sugar. I modified it, using a small amount of whole wheat flour, less sugar, and no nuts for a lower calorie bread. I was so pleased with the results, I can honestly say this is the best tasting and best textured banana bread I've ever eaten. The fact that there is less sugar really accentuates the taste of the banana.

2 ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
1/2 c. whole wheat flour1 1/2 c. flour (I used unbleached)
1/2 c. sugar
3 T oil (I used half the amount in safflower and half the amount in coldf pressed olive oil)
3 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 egg
1 c. milk

Preheat oven to 350. Combine ingredients all at once. Mix with a giant wooden spoon until well blended (about ten turns). Pour into a greased and floured 9 X 5X 13 bread pan. If you have the smaller size, divide the batter between the two pans. Bake 55-60 minutes, or until top is golden and toothpick comes out clean from the center.

3 comments:

Thao said...

Thanks for the recipe. I am allergic to nuts so this recipe will be perfect.

Katherine Huether said...

I'm glad I could help!

I don't like nuts in my baked goods for some reason.

Of course if anyone wants to add the nuts, they are more than welcome.

job opportunitya said...

Exciting blog. Your site was amazing and will be
back again! I never get tired of looking for blogs
just like this one.
I beg of you, just check out my second home mortgage calculator blog.