Sunday, August 13, 2006

Nutrient Dense Foods

I've been wracking my brain... what am I doing different in the U.S. than I was in Germany. Then I figured it out. When I was there I focused on eating nutrient dense foods. I'd add spices, herbs, and even seaweed to the foods I eat in order to make it more nutritious. So for the past week, I've focused on this aspect. Here's what I used to do, and what I started to do again...
  • Drink a lot of herbal teas
  • Make herbal infusions (steeping certain herbs for about eight hours in a covered glass jar). The herbs I use for infusions are typically stinging nettle, oatstraw, and sometimes red clover, mullein, or red raspberry leaves mixed with a little mint.
  • I consumed a lot of "warming" herbs that boost your metabolism such as ginger, cayenne, and cinnamon. I add these whenever I can.
  • I put a pinch of dulse flakes in almost everything I cook, especially soups. Dulse is so nutritious!

No comments: