Thursday, May 10, 2007

Nourishing Herbal Infusions

After a long hiatus (too long) I am now back in what I call "herbal mode". This means that I drink nourishing herbal infusions by the gallon, trek outside to learn about the wild plants, and in general work on building my health.

Right now, the herb I am obsessed with learning about is stinging nettle. It has long been my favorite, I've just been neglecting it for quite some time. I guess I just didn't want it.

In case you are curious, nourishing herbal infusions are prepared as follows:

Measure one ounce of dried herb into a one quart mason jar. Cover with boiling water and cover. Let stand for 4-8 hours and then refrigerate.

Herbs for nourishing infusions:

Only certain herbs are suitable for infusions. Here's a list:

  • lemon balm
  • stinging nettle
  • red clover (mixed with a pinch of mint)
  • alfalfa
  • mullein (with a pinch of mint)
  • chickweed

You need to use the dried herb in order for it to be effective.

I learned the information about the nourishing herbal infusions from the teachings of Susun Weed.

You can find out more in one of her books Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series) (Wise Woman Herbal Series)

No comments: