Sunday, June 11, 2006

Stinging Nettle Infusions

Lately I've been thinking a lot about Germany and how healthy I felt when I lived there. I was twenty pounds thinner than I am now. I lost all that weight when I lived there. Moving back to the U.S. I slowly started to creep on the pounds. I still don't understand why.

I am trying to figure out what it is I did differently back then. I walked more. I drank herbal infusions (herbs like red clover, stinging nettle, and oatstraw steeped overnight). I foraged. I ate whole foods. I do these things sometimes, by they aren't a part of my life.

The first habit I will re-enter into my life is the daily making of infusions. I have the pot of water boiling and my stinging nettle is standing by, waiting to be added to the boiing water. Yum!

2 comments:

Sawson said...

Hello Katherine:

I am Sumaiyah, I am a member at Susun Weed's forum. I mostly lurk nowadays. Reading your post and blog has made me miss Germany, too. I can totally relate to your feelings of shock after moving back to the US. It's so interesting how different life is aboard, right? I have been aboard (different countries) for almost 3 years, I gave birth to my son aboard, too. My husband and I are in the process of moving back to the US, it is a bittersweet moment for me.

I LOVE Stinging Nettle infusions, too. I drank them everyday during the 9th month of pregnancy. Surprising, my lochia was much ligther than my monthly flow. Food for thought I guess. I have not made an infusion in a while. Reading your blog has brought it all back.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. It was nice. I hope you have a nice day.
Sumaiyah

Lynne said...

Hi Katherine,

I'm off to Google to look up stinging nettle. I'm so curious about the "infusion" part. What exactly do you mean by that? Also, my aunt used to have a recipe for Spinach Salad and I loved it. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try that out.

Have a great day!

Lynne