Anyway, I put together a strength training routine that will help make me a stronger runner. This is a three week program. After the four weeks, I am changing the exercises to keep my muscles challenged. I will do this routine twice a week. One will be on an off running day, another will be on a Thursday.
Because you don't want to add bulk, I've been advised to lift 50% of what I am capable of lifting. This will help develop enough strength, without adding bulk.
Warm up for about five minutes. I like the rower because it works the whole body. Stretch afterwards.
- Bench Press- 2 sets of 12 reps
- Push ups- 2 sets of 12 reps
- Rowing- 2 sets of 12 reps. Grip one dumbbell in each hand. Sit on end of bench. Keep back straight. Extend arms down and lift at an angle to bra line. Face palms toward body.
- French Press- 2 sets of 12 reps. Do it as usual, but angle the elbows out more. Do standing
- Bicep Curl- 2 sets of 12 reps
- Crunches- 3 Sets of 15
- Oblique crunches- 3 sets of 15
- Lunge- 2 sets of 15. Just use bodyweight.
- Swim move- 2 sets of 10 reps
- Calf raises- 2 sets of 15. Just use bodyweight.
- Squat- 2 sets of 15. Just use bodyweight.