Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Herbal Remedies for PMS

An evening-primrose flower, showing the cross-...Image via Wikipedia

I don't know about you, but when I have PMS I don't like to reach for the standard over the counter medicines like Midol. For one, they don't really do anything to help the problem itself - they're really just designed to make you feel better.

As an herbalist, I believe that eating right, exercising, and balancing your hormones gently with herbs is a better approach. In other words, I like to use natural herbs for PMS instead of relying on medication to just numb the pain, relieve the anxiety, or to give me energy.

The link I shared above is for an article I wrote that talks about some top herbs for PMS. In the article I listed
  • Chaste tree berry
  • Licorice root
  • Dandelion
  • Evening Primrose Oil
All of these are considered wonderful herbal remedies for PMS.

In the herbal tradition that I follow (the wise woman tradition) we don't believe in shocking our body with harsh herbal medicines and complicated blends. We believe in nourishing our bodies with the right nutrients and using herbs that also fit the "nourishment" purpose.

In looking at the list, the first two natural remedies I'd try are dandelion (especially fresh spring greens right from the lawn) and evening primrose oil. And bear in mind that it may take several months for your hormones to balance out so you may not notice that much of a difference right away.

Do you have success treating your PMS naturally?


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: